29 June, 2021
Townsville enters lockdown
The current Queensland COVID lockdown has been extended to include parts of North Queensland.
- Townsville, Magnetic Island, Palm Island enter three day lockdown at 6pm today
- An unvaccinated hospital worker from Brisbane travelled last weekend to Townsville
- Fever Clinics are being established on Magnet Island and Townsville
- Travel restrictions apply along with mandatory facemasks.
It has been announced today that an unvaccinated Brisbane hospital
worker who has tested positive, travelled last weekend from her home in Brisbane
to Townsville and Magnetic Island.
As a result of this latest case, south-east Queensland, Townsville City, Magnetic Island and Palm Island will go into lockdown for three days from 6pm today, the Premier announced this morning.
The lockdown order will apply to local government areas including Brisbane, Ipswich, Lockyer Valley, Scenic Rim, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Noosa, Redlands, Moreton, Somerset, Logan, Townsville, Palm Island and Magnetic Island.
The lockdown order will be reviewed later this week and is expected to be lifted at 6pm Friday.
The Premier announced that fever clinics will be set up on Magnetic Island and in Townsville.
The Lockdown Order limits travel and requires masks to be worn in public.
You can only leave your residence (which includes temporary accommodation such as a holiday rental) for limited permitted purposes such as:
- obtaining essential goods or services, including healthcare (including vaccinations)
- attending essential work or childcare
- assisting vulnerable persons
You must carry a face mask at all times when you leave home, unless you have a lawful reason not to. You must wear a mask in indoor spaces, such as:
- shopping centres and supermarkets
- hospitals and aged care facilities, if permitted to visit
- indoor workplaces (where safe to wear a mask and you can’t physically distance)
- public transport, taxis and rideshare, and waiting places or queues for this transport
- airports and travelling on planes.
The lockdown restrictions will be reviewed on Friday 2 July.
Anyone in the affected Local Government Areas will be required to stay at home except for essential reasons. Anyone who was in South East Queensland, Townsville or Palm Island on or since 6pm Tuesday 29 June 2021 is required to follow the same lockdown rules even if they are no longer in those areas.
The woman visited the following places:
- Sandgate Woolworths from 9:30am to 10:30am on Sunday, June 20
- Bayhealth Gym, 10:00am to midday on Sunday June 20
- Prince Charles Hospital, 3:00pm to 10:00pm on Tuesday June 22 and Wednesday June 23
- Brisbane Airport, 9:00am to 10:00am on Thursday June 24
- Virgin flight VA 369 from Brisbane to Townsville on Thursday June 24
- Townsville Airport following her flight on Thursday June 24
- Magnetic Island from midday Thursday June 24 to Sunday June 27
- Townsville markets, Sunday morning June 27
- Townsville Airport, in the afternoon on June 27
- Virgin flight VA8374 from Townsville to Brisbane, Sunday June 27
Two others who live with her as well as a friend are unwell and have been tested with results pending.
The Queensland Health Depart advises, you can return to your home outside of South East Queensland, Townsville or Palm Island, but you must follow the same lockdown rules when you return home, regardless of where your destination is.