8 August, 2021
Plasma donation - an essential service in Cairns
Plasma donation is an essential service and is exempt from all travel restrictions and stay at home orders.
With lockdown announced for Cairns, it is important to remember that plasma donation remains absolutely vital and is one of the reasons you are allowed to leave the house.
People who are healthy and well, not waiting on test results or isolating can book online at lifeblood.com.au.
Cairns currently has almost 200 plasma donations available over the next week.
“Donating plasma remains an essential activity, and travel and venue restrictions do not prevent you from giving plasma – we need you now more than ever,” Lifeblood spokesperson Belinda Smetioukh said.
“Our Cains donor centre is open. In addition to our already strong eligibility and hygiene protocols, we have implemented a wide range of additional measures including:
- Masks for staff and donors
- Postponements for people who have tested positive to COVID-19 or been in contact with a confirmed case
- Wellness checks, including contactless temperature check, before entering the centre
- Increased cleaning of frequently used items
- Providing additional hand sanitiser for donors
- Additional daily cleaning of all areas in our centres
- Restriction of non-donating visitors to our centres
- Provision of public health information in every centre
- Implementing social distancing wherever possible
“Lockdowns don’t stop the need for plasma - there are patients in hospital who need plasma and are relying on people to donate,” Ms Smetioukh added.
To book your donation visit lifeblood.com.au, call 13 14 95 or download the Donate Blood app.