11 August, 2021
COVID-19 update on Cairns Council services
The following Council facilities and services will reopen following the announcement by the Queensland Government that the 3-day lockdown will end at 4pm today. (Wednesday)
Residents are reminded that while the lockdown will be lifted at 4pm today (Wednesday), there remain a number of restrictions in place, including the mandatory wearing of masks in public, which will be enforced at Council venues and facilities.
Customer Service Centres will re-open from tomorrow under normal times, except for Earlville, which will remain closed. (Note: this will not affect the opening of Earlville Library). The call centre is open, call 1300 69 22 47. You can also report a problem online via our website or using the My Cairns app.
Cairns Libraries will open as below:
- Earlville – reopens today at 4pm. (Wed Aug 11)
- Manunda – reopens today at 4pm. (Wed Aug 11)
- City – reopens today at 4pm. (Wed Aug 11)
- Smithfield – reopens today at 4pm. (Wed Aug 11)
- Babinda – reopens tomorrow.(Thurs Aug 12)
- Edmonton – reopens tomorrow. (Thurs Aug 12)
- Gordonvale – reopens tomorrow. (Thurs Aug 12)
- Stratford – reopens tomorrow. (Thurs Aug 12)
Library activities: Any scheduled library activities up to and including Sunday 15 August have been cancelled.
Lagoon reopens from 4pm today.
- Picnic benches outside of Muddies will be open for use from tomorrow morning.
- Barbecues to be turned on from tomorrow.
Barlow Park to re-open to casual users at 4pm.
Pools and recreation centres:
- Tobruk, Smithfield and Gordonvale pools to open tomorrow.
- Marlin Coast Recreation Centre to re-open tomorrow.
- Re-opening of Woree pool and PCYC Edmonton to be confirmed.
Green Space Our Place:
- Volunteer programs to recommence tomorrow.
- Little Taccas and Stratford Nursery volunteering to remain cancelled this week.
Active Living to remain cancelled for the remainder of the week until Monday.
Other facilities reopening from 4pm today: (Wed Aug 11)
- Public barbecues
- Fitness equipment
- Playgrounds including Muddy’s Playground and the Fun Ship Playground
- Basketball and tennis courts
- Bump tracks and BMX tracks (within parks)
- The Esplanade Activity Precinct (skate plaza, bouldering park, beach volleyball courts, multi-purpose court)
- The Lagoon and Council-run swimming pools
- Flecker Gardens
Other facilities to open tomorrow:
- Arts and cultural venues: Cairns Performing Arts Centre, Tanks Arts Centre, the Court House gallery. Please check www.ticketlink.com.au for updated show information.
- Buy Back Shop
- Botanic Gardens Visitor Centre
See Council’s website for more information.
Queensland Health is the lead agency for the COVID-19 response.
Some restrictions will continue to apply until 4pm, Sunday 22 August, including:
- Mask wearing at all times (including workplaces) except when eating or drinking, or exercising with your household or one other person.
- Schools will reopen, with all staff and high school students wearing masks.
- 10 people in your home, including people who live there.
- 20 people at a wedding ceremony or funeral service.
- Businesses and venues with one person per four square metres, or 50 percent capacity with seated, ticket allocations.
- Community sports and activities are restricted and, in some cases, not permitted.
- Avoid travelling outside previously locked down areas.
- Visitors allowed to hospitals, aged care and disability accommodation.
Further information on restrictions is available: https://www.qld.gov.au/health/conditions/health-alerts/coronavirus-covid-19/current-status/public-health-directions/restrictions-impacted-areas
You can also contact the Queensland Health COVID-19 hotline on 134 COVID (134 268).