8 October, 2021
Creating art from junk
THE Cassowary Coast Family Day Care Scheme would like to thank all the competitors who entered into the Junk Art Competition.
There was an amazing turn out and it was great to see the creativity that went into reusing and upcycling junk to create amazing pieces of art.
The Junk Art Competition was judged at Warrina Lakes on Saturday 25 September by local artists Sue Foley and Wendy Shields.
Overall there were 12 winners, each who received a compost bin to continue their sustainability journey.
The winners were:
● Best overall presentation (as pictures of the process were included in the presentation) – “Flipper Man” by Felica’s Family Day Care, Innisfail.
● Most unique use of recycled items, Grade 7-10 –“Robot” by Jia Morton, Mission Beach.
● Next unique, Grade 7-10 – “Jelly Fish” by Layla Morton, Mission Beach.
● Winner, Grade 3-6 – “Turtle” by Cooper Millwood, Tully.
● Most complex and creative –“Globe” by Country Kids Family Day Care, Innisfail.
● Individual any age –“Rainbow window” by Sharlene Morton, Mission Beach.
● Best use of Dump material – “Dream Catcher” by Ashlin Thompson, Mission Beach.
● Best under water scene in “3D”- by Community Kids, Innisfail.
● Best funky fish – by Country Kids, Forest Friends Nature Play Innisfail.
● Best recycled house hold items- by the Tully Kindy.
● Best by the youngest age – “Robot” by Little Tree Family Day Care, Mission Beach.
● Best Collaborative piece - “Family” by the Community Support Centre, Innisfail.
The event was organised to promote sustainability in the region and to highlight how our Educators in the Family Day Care Scheme are committed to re-cycling and re-using.
Council would like to thank all the sponsors involved including Mission Beach Mitre 10, Tully Mitre 10, Doug Pigdon Constructions, Mission Solar and Electrical, As Green As Garden Centre, Kitchen Essentials, Bunnings Innisfail and Tully Sugar Limited.