16 April, 2021
Super Quiz: Cairns Local News- Classic Literature
This week's Super Quiz. How well do you know your literature?
|25 - 30||Genius - Go to the top of the class. You roc|
|20 - 24||A total standout - You are on the money|
|15 - 19||Above average - Well done, you are obviously a reader|
|10 - 14||Average - Well you must have skipped English lit. at school|
|5 - 9||Below average - books are for reading, not just looking at the pictures|
|0 - 4||Obviously not your cuppa tea|
- “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness….” These are the opening lines from which classic book?
- “It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known.” Name the book this classic closing line is from.
- Name the Pulitzer Prize winning novel written by Harper Lee about a tale of racism in the American South.
- F. Scott Fitzgerald’s classic tale set in New York City was made into a 1970s movie starring Paul Newman and Robert Redford. Name the novel?
- Set in post-Civil War America, this Alice Walker novel was made into a 1980s movie starring Oprah Winfrey, name the novel.
- Keep the Aspidistra Flying is a classic novel written in 1934. A tale about a copywriter rebelling against society’s dependence upon money. Name the author.
- Name the 19th century British poet responsible for the following words, “And did those feet in ancient time. Walk upon England’s mountains green…”
- “Dulce et Decorum Est” is the title of a poem from WWI poet Wilfred Owen. Translate the Latin title?
- I had written him a letter which I had, for want of better Knowledge, sent to where I met him down the Lachlan, years ago. Who was the letter addressed to?
- “The Loaded Dog” was a humorous short story about three miners and their dog Tommy. Who was the author?
- John Steinbeck’s classic novel about a family during the Great Depression in Oklahoma was awarded the Pulitzer Prize. Name the novel?
- Name the John Grisham novel made into a major movie starring Tom Cruise and Gene Hackman.
- Name the Australian novel set in the Sutherland Shire about the surf and youth culture of the 1970s?
- Dr. Suess was the pen name of what American author?
- The Day My Bum Went Psycho is a classic children’s novel written by?
- Shakespeare’s “Alas poor Yorick, I knew him well” is misquoted often. What should the quote be?
- “To be or not to be: that is the question”: is a quote from which Shakespeare play?
- Name the Graham Greene novel based upon the blueprints for a vacuum cleaner and MI6?
- Which novel came first? Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit?
- The Twilight Saga is a series of four vampire-themed fantasy books. Name the author?
- Name the pop-culture classic featuring the characters, Anastasia Steele and Christian Grey?
- Name the author of the book?
- Who authored “Around the World in Eighty Days.”?
- The Australian Aboriginal detective series “Bony” was penned by whom?
- In 1964 Australian Donald Horne penned a famous book capturing the spirit of Australia. Name that book?
- Name the American writer, born in Missouri responsible for writing about Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer?
- Name the title of the Marcus Clarke Australian classic depicting the life as a convict in early Australia?
- Recite the first line of Samuel Taylor Coleridge’s classic poem, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner.
- Name the Australian author who passed away in 2015 in the Norfolk Island Hospital, aged 77, responsible for the classic novel Tim?
- The Artful Dodger is a character from which Dickens novel?
ANSWERS: 1. Tale of Two Cities – Charles Dickens, 2. Tale of Two Cities – Charles Dickens, 3. To Kill a Mockingbird, 4. The Great Gatesby, 5. The Colour Purple, 6. George Orwell, 7. William Blake, 8. “It is sweet and fitting to die for the homeland.”, 9. Clancy of the Overflow, 10. Henry Lawson, 11. The Grapes of Wrath, 12. The Firm, 13. Puberty Blues, 14. Theodor Seuss Gelsel, 15. Andy Griffiths, 16. Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio:, 17. Hamlet, Act 3, Scene 1, 18. Our Man in Havana, 19. The Hobbit 1937, Lord of the Rings 1954, 20. Stephanie Meyer, 21. 50 Shades of Grey, 22. EL James, 23. Jules Verne, 24. Arthur Upfield, 25. The Lucky Country, 26. Mark Twain, 27. For the Term of His Natural Life, 28. It is an ancient Mariner, 29. Colleen McCullough, 30. Oliver Twist.